Anyone ever add a bow thruster?

alk

Administrator
Staff member
Member
Joined
Jul 27, 2001
RO Number
5508
Messages
1,260
On my 43’ Viking I am wishing I had a bow thruster - I know, I should be able to handle her in any conditions - but when the current and wind kick up, I’m just not all that good at it, and probably never will be. The two most recent docks I’ve used have a current of nearly 3 mph, and with gas motors my props are a bit on the small side so the boat doesn’t respond as quickly as a diesel with huge wheels. Never did any damage, or had any major problems that 3 or 4 approaches couldn’t get me in - but I do find myself planning trips around the slack tides, which I never did in my smaller boats.

Ideally I would like to be able to come and go as I please, without trying to sync up with slackish current timing. I keep seeing others whipping around these marinas with their thrusters, and wouldn’t mind having one.

Is it a DIY job, or nearly impossible to get right if you aren’t a skilled pro? Anyone ever see the ‘external’ ones that bolt onto the bow, all penetrations above the water line? Kind of chintzy looking, but the videos make the install look a quick afternoon job.
 
Last edited:
Instal of an internal BT is definitely not DIY and requires special tools to drill the hole.

Current can be used to your advantage in docking situations by angling the boat so that the current moves you sideways to or from the dock.
 
On YouTube they make it look easy to draw the circle then cut it out with jigsaw, etc. But sure seems like they are oversimplifying it.
 
On YouTube they make it look easy to draw the circle then cut it out with jigsaw, etc. But sure seems like they are oversimplifying it.
I saw a recent video of a pro drilling the hole - hole saw was like 5' long. My thought on this - what if you cut the holes incorrectly and had to pay for the fiberglass repair ? Ouch !
 
I would say on your boat adding a bowthruster would be a really good to have - maybe even must have. Smaller boats I think it's more of a convenience thing. If I were in your situation and the cost was not an issue I would probably do it. If I were buy a boat like that new it would be a must have. Not going to get into the "you should know how to handle the boat without it - yada", you know all that and really if there is a tool to make the job easier, why not use the tool. I am DIY when it comes to my boat and cars, but I would not even attempt that job, there is cutting, fiberglass work and electrical work and the cost of a FU is expensive. DIY=NO, expensive=Yes, but a really good to have and almost must have for that boat= Yes. Don't do a bolt on, they look stupid.
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Reactions: alk
I would not approach this as a DIY project unless you can rent a tool that can drill it out after you are willing to find a way to ensure you can get the pilot hole for it lined up correctly. Look around and see what kind of hole saw you can find that will follow a pilot hole for that distance and keep the first hole lined up or snug to the whole saw diameter because the hole saw is long enough. Maybe there is something out there that is reversable or has a plug with a pilot hole?
Otherwise?
Deal with it.
We had an 83 '43' MY. Yeah, diesels. They DO make a difference but before that we had a 37 silverton with gassers. There is no comparison with docking. But, learn to gas it appropriately, and timely. A good shot of throttle with a gasser works well IMHO.
 
Last edited:
WRT to why, Bill K has the quote I often think of: " if there is a tool to make the job easier, why not use the tool"
Dock mates installed bow thrusters on 30 and 28 footers, good for them, they could afford it and wanted the "tool" or freedom or less stress.

WRT DIY: wow, I do alot of my own work but this sounds daunting.... I don't think a jig saw is the right approach. I like to see the really big hole saws mentioned. If you want to be involved, do the electric portion of it which is very important. I'd let the professionals (with E&O insurance) take care of making the hole and sealing it.

Dude on my row has the bolt on one,,,, NO, just NO! I doubt it works but even if it did, it looks simply ridiculous, rather struggle with the twin engines and eat some humble pie before bolting a dildo to the bow of my boat.
 
  • Like
Reactions: alk
yeah, the bolt on ones look brutally ridiculous, and they cost over five grand. Would rather just bounce off the docks a few times! I have a spare set of 4 blade props that came with the boat, but were a bit dinged up. I’m guessing if I had them repaired, and swap out the three blades I have on there now, it would help a bit?

I wish I could find someone just to drill the hole, and the I could do the rest; but not sure if that’s possible. Then again, it’s just a hole, and fiberglass work is easy enough if you don’t need it to look perfect. If the thruster is off a degree or two from straight or level, will it make that much of a difference? Looks easier than a transom rebuild, or a stringer replacement, which plenty of DIY’s tackle with acceptable results. The huge hole saws look intimidating, but this doesn’t look all the hard.

 
That is some serious DIY work!!! I'd be cringing every time the bow smacked into a wave after doing that job myself...
 
One challenge is getting in there to get the glass on. Having rebuilt the bow of Freedom from the anchor locker laying on my back, I kinda think this would be a bit easier AFTER the holes are properly drilled AND the tube is fitted AND locked in. Fitting the tube and locking it place could be a bear. You don't want it moving at all while you glass it in. That and getting the glass around the tube at the hull interface could be quite challenging. Especially on the underside that is out of sight. You will want several layers as well. Probably small pieces to prevent wrinkles. I was able to press up the thickened epoxy (1/4 inch notched trowel) coated koosa with a frame I cobbled up. Once I had a couple of layers up I applied the glass. In my case that was quite easy as you wet it down good then roll it out. You may not be so lucky and will have to be clever about locking the tube in place. Small pieces that enable good shaping and adhesion without bubbles will be a challenge for sure.
1791413749467.jpeg1791413880032.jpeg
 
  • Like
Reactions: alk
Glassing the underside of the tube is probably what concerns me the most, maybe even more so than drilling the hole.
 
If this is a gasser vs a sailboat I am thinking you might not have much room to work with while you hang upside down.
 
Back
Top